As I mentioned in the beginning of the month, Angela from The Artists’ House is hosting a month-and-a-half-long event where fellow bloggers talk about why they are planning to buy handmade this holiday season – For the full list of participants click here!
Weeks before Angela announced this event, I had already made a pact with myself to buy handmade or homemade gifts for my friends and family this year so I knew I had to be a part of it!
[A Crafty Christmas by The Artists’ House]
So why “handmade” anyway? What’s the big deal?
Every day, we are inundated by a variety of products mass-produced by giant corporations. When buying from these companies, we lose that sense of personal connection with what we buy. When I open a handmade package, I know that I am directly supporting an individual or a small group of individuals and their specialized craft. That personal connection is why I am choosing to buy handmade this season. When I give my gifts to friends and family, I can tell them a little story about each item – How it was made, who the crafter is, where it came from, why it is special. Can you do that when you give someone a gift from Abercrombie and Fitch?
I am also buying handmade this season for the simple reason that I hate driving around for hours just trying to find a parking spot at the stores! You will never find me out on Black Friday … Nope! I prefer the comfort of my butt on the couch and my computer on my lap lazily perusing the pages of Etsy in search of that perfect gift – The price of shipping is so worth the avoidance of mall mayhem.
Without further ado – Here are some handmade goodies I that will be buying for others this year!
Gifts For Family:
- Pudgy Bird by Bubbletime
- Hand Painted Mug by Louche Lab
- Tea Towels by Pony & Poppy
- Birdhouse Print by Raw Art Letterpress
- Dala Horse Journal by Zoetropa
- Chalkboard Horse by Houndstooth Design
- Air Plants by To Hold
- Lip Balms by Little Batch Botanicals
Gift Suggestions for Me (hint, hint):
- Periodic Table Wood Blocks by FrogFruit Studio – I would love to have some unexpected, geeky home decoration.
- Cardboard Moose Trophy by Cardboard Safari – As I’ve said, I think moose are one of the cutest animals ever and I am totally diggin’ this cardboard version.
- Hand Knitted Socks by RG Socks- I keep hearing amazing things about hand knitted socks, so I am dying to try a pair!
- Horchata Candy by Vintage Confections – I love horchata … Naturally I need to try these.
I can’t wait for Christmas! Thanks for reading and please “hop” along with us for the next couple weeks and read blog posts filled with handmade love and gifts – Cat from RoseWoolls Designs is up tomorrow!