So I came across this picture while “window shopping” on Etsy this week and it totally reminded me of Jim and myself!
[Signs by Oh Dier]
Then it got me thinking – Between the two of us, he is totally the geek and I am absolutely the nerd!
According to wikiHow (paraphrased):
A nerd could be viewed as someone with an extremely intense interest or fascination in an academic field of study and many tend towards being introverted. They often have gained a strong and diverse skill set from their studies and experiences and have interests that may also cover a broad range.
A geek could be viewed as someone with an interest or lifestyle having to do with niche activities, especially fandom and technology. It is not uncommon for a geek to be capable of reciting large amounts of knowledge that is unintuitive, intriguing and (at times) long-winded. Geeks can vary in their interests, from fun and frivolous to intricate and technological.
[Nerd Glasses Gadget Cozy by What. No Mints?]
Now that we know what the difference is between the two, lets do a little analysis:
- Has an intense love of chemistry (and of pretty much all things science).
- Is a self-proclaimed homebody.
- Interests range from the incredibly intellectual to the abstract and creative.
- Can recite the lines of Star Wars Episodes IV-VI pretty much by heart.
- Uses the Linux operating system (I do too, but Jim actually knows what he’s doing …).
- Is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to random tidbits of information, both informative and useless.