So I have these vanilla beans my Mom gave me which are burning a hole in my cabinet so I decided to spice up our typical Sunday pancakes! (Recipe adapted from the one found in Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book)
Ingredients (Serves 2 Serious Pancake Lovers):
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Granulated Sugar – we use Sugar in the Raw because we find it to have a well-rounded flavor, but regular sugar works just fine!
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg – beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 3 tbsp. Cooking Oil – we use veggie oil
- 1 Vanilla Bean – split and beans scraped out
- Preheat oven to Warm (or whatever the lowest setting is) so you can put finished pancakes in there to relax and keep warm until you are finished making the whole batch.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together egg, milk, oil and vanilla bean scrapings.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients all at once and stir until moistened.
- For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter into a non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat (depends on your stove situation) and cook 1-2 minutes on each side (flip when the pancake begins to form bubbles and edges are slightly dry).
- Repeat step 5 until you run out of batter, transferring each finished pancake to a plate in the oven to keep warm.
- Once finished, spread the pancake love around and enjoy with syrup, butter, fruit or your other favorite toppings!
Pancakes are a Sunday favorite in our household because it’s the only day Jim and I get to cook and eat together in the mornings. This recipe has never steered me wrong and it is super easy (not to mention simply delectable!). I will never buy the Shake ‘n Pour pancakes again!