My Mom recently gave me a bag of vanilla beans because she ordered some for herself in bulk and had some left over. Not really knowing what to do with them I decided to make muffins (who doesn’t like muffins?). I wanted to jazz them up a bit so I decided to add some raspberries to the mix! (Recipe adapted from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw, plain granulated works just fine)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 vanilla bean pod, cut down the middle and vanilla beans scraped out
- 5 oz fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, oil and vanilla beans. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients all at once and stir with spoon, batter should be lumpy.
- Add fresh raspberries and fold gently, just enough to combine.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. (I was able to make 10 muffins, the original recipe says it makes 12 – Use your judgement)
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, muffins are done when a butter knife (or toothpick) comes out clean. (18-20 minutes is the time the original recipe suggests, it only took 16 minutes in my oven. I suggest checking your muffins after 15 minutes of baking and add time accordingly.)
Hope you like them as much as we do!