My new favorite study spot: Alaska Coffee Roasting Co.
They have 2 locations: 1 in Fairbanks, AK and 1 in North Miami, FL (weird, right?)
They roast their coffee on site (I’ve had 3 different kinds already and love them all) and serve up some amazing sandwiches. I can’t wait to meet Jim for lunch there someday so we can try one of their wood-fire pizzas!
I spent about 7 hours there yesterday grading a giant stack of lab reports and studying for my last final ever. In a city where nearly every coffee shop is a chain, this little cafe is a welcome breath of fresh air :)
Just popping in to say “hello” – It’s been too long since I’ve posted here, but for good reason.
This month has been all together busy and exciting …
- I’ve been planning a trip to Colorado next week for field sampling and a dissolved organic matter fluorescence workshop
- I’m finalizing an experimental design that will likely take me all summer to finish, but I expect that the results are going to be pretty awesome
- Our group recently published in Science and the story was picked up by both NSF and the Wall Street Journal (!!) – This publication is essentially the precursor to what I am currently working on (just in case you were wondering what I do all day in lab) – We know that black carbon is associated with dissolved organic matter, but how? This is the question I need to answer
- After this week I am completely finished with college classes … of course I will still constantly be learning, observing and absorbing information related to my research, but I am stoked to never have to cram for another final ever again
P.S. It’s National Parks Week! Free admission to all national parks until April 28th! Get out and explore :)
Made a batch of these for Jim and myself this weekend … they were gone in less than 24 hours.I loved baking up this blondie recipe in little muffin tins because then everyone gets to enjoy a bit of soft center and crunchy edge.
Ingredients: makes about 12 blondies
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts*
*These can be substituted to create other tasty variations such as shredded coconut, dried fruit, cinnamon chips, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl
- Whisk in egg, salt and vanilla until thoroughly combined
- Add flour, chocolate chips and walnuts and mix until combined, finish mixing the batter by hand if needed
- Split the batter into 12 equal portions and press into the bottom of muffin tins coated with non-stick spray
- Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until center of blondies set
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before indulging
Miami continually displays the most beautiful skies I have ever seen in my entire life.
On this day, the long rays of sunlight from the west were reflected off the underside of the storm clouds moving east. I felt like I was driving home in a watercolor painting. Stunning.
Astronaut Chris Hadfield must have been hovering above our area of the globe this week: I love being able to point out all the different places in south Florida we’ve explored … from space :)